Re: PostgreSQL::PLPerl::Call - Simple interface for calling SQL functions from PostgreSQL PL/Perl

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL::PLPerl::Call - Simple interface for calling SQL functions from PostgreSQL PL/Perl
Date: 2010-02-15 12:50:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:51:14AM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 02:25:48PM -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:
> >
> > > I've appended the POD documentation and attached the (rough but working)
> > > test script.
> > >
> > > I plan to release the module to CPAN in the next week or so.
> > >
> > > I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
> >
> > I like the idea overall, and anything that can simplify the interface is more than welcome. However:
> >
> > * I'd rather not have to specify a signature for a non-polymorphic function.
>
> The signature doesn't just qualify the selection of the function,
> it also ensures appropriate interpretation of the arguments.

Just to clarify that... I mean appropriate interpretation not only by
PostgreSQL but also by the call() code knowing which arguments may need
array encoding (without having to check them all on every call).

The signature also makes it easy to refer to functions in other schemas.
Something that a SP->func_name(...) style syntax wouldn't allow.

Tim.