Re: BUG #5315: Unlisted keyword WINDOW

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5315: Unlisted keyword WINDOW
Date: 2010-02-05 19:40:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Bug reference: 5315
> Logged by:
> Email address: sulfinu(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.2
> Operating system: Gentoo Linux
> Details:
>
> According to the official documentation
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-keywords-appendix.html),
> the SQL reserved keyword WINDOW is totally uninteresting to PostgreSQL.
>
> But in real life the parser has a different opinion. Just try this:
> create table a (
> window integer,
> c varchar(20));
>
> So, either correct the parser (is there any use for the word WINDOW in
> Postgres?) or the documentation.

Ah, quite interesting. I grabed all the keywords in our SGML docs
listed as somehow reserved in Postgres, and then ran "SELECT word FROM
pg_get_keywords() WHERE catcode != 'U'" to get all the keywords from our
C code, and then compared the two. The two missing keywords were OVER,
and WINDOW, as you mentioned.

I have applied the attached patch to CVS HEAD and 8.4.X to properly
document our keywords.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 1.1 KB