Re: Confusion over Python drivers

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date: 2010-02-05 14:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Massa, Harald Armin wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Python
> >
> > The first one listed, Psycopg, is noted as "preferred libpq-based
> > driver", but the license is GPL. Isn't that a problem for many client
> > applications?
> >
> > The licence of psycopg2 is a little more complicated; the "GPL" in that
> summary just tries to sum it. The actual licence is: [from the LICENCE in
> the source distribution]

Wow, that is super-confusing. I am dealing with an issue now that some
companies are concerned that individual names appear with our own BSD
copyrights in small files. That pales in comparison to this copyright.
I would never be able to recommend software with that complex a
copyright.

I think the community needs to look at other alternatives.

(I am amazed that not only are there a confusing number of drivers, but
there are a confusing number of copyright options for this single driver.)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com