Re: development setup and libdir

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: development setup and libdir
Date: 2010-01-30 16:43:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:06:02 -0500

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it> writes:
> > ... I can't make install (provided it works as expected, I
> > didn't try yet) since I sincerely hope that my user doesn't have
> > write right on whatever is pointed by $libdir.
>
> Why not? In order to install a C function, you have to be
> superuser, which means you already have the keys to the kingdom
> database-wise. There is no reason to not give a developer of C
> functions write access on $libdir. He could do whatever he wanted
> inside the C code anyway.

It's not just about security, it's about maintenance.

Anyway I may have more than one instance of pg running but all will
point to the same lib directory and anyway if I'm going to use
distribution package I don't want things that mix (and may be
overwritten).
Still I should give write access to myself as a "developer" to a
system directory I really shouldn't have access too (and on Debian it
should be root:root if I'm remembering right).

Anyway I'm just getting acquainted with pg build system and today I
just learnt a lot on #postgresql.

Again... as soon as I'll have something working, I'll post what I've
learnt from the experience somewhere.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo