Re: 64-bit size pgbench

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit size pgbench
Date: 2010-01-29 07:29:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Attached is a patch that fixes a long standing bug in pgbench: it won't
> handle scale factors above ~4000 (around 60GB) because it uses 32-bit
> integers for its computations related to the number of accounts, and it
> just crashes badly when you exceed that. This month I've run into two
> systems where that was barely enough to exceed physical RAM, so I'd
> expect this to be a significant limiting factor during 9.0's lifetime.
> A few people have complained about it already in 8.4.

+1 for the fix.

Do we also need to adjust "tuples done" messages during dataload?
It would be too verbose for large scale factor. I think a message
every 1% is reasonable.

if (j % 10000 == 0)
fprintf(stderr, INT64_FORMAT " tuples done.\n", j);

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center