Syntax supplements for SET options

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Syntax supplements for SET options
Date: 2010-01-25 02:16:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I found a couple of incomplete syntax when I was adjusting psql
automatic tab completion for HEAD.

1. We cannot specify tablespace options on "CREATE TABLESPACE"
though "ALTER TABLESPACE" supports generic options by SET (...).

2. Should we still support "ALTER COLUMN SET STATISTICS"
though we can set generic options with "ALTER COLUMN SET (...)" ?

3. We cannot specify column options on "CREATE TABLE"
though "ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET ..." supports it.

Which item should we fix?

I think the 1st is simple to be fixed if needed.
Since the 2nd was added during alpha, we could revert it if needed.
The 3rd is relatively hard to fix because we need to adjust the syntax all
of the kinds of columns options - STATISTICS, STORAGE, and generic options -
without keywords confliction.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki