Re: Git out of sync vs. CVS

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, tgl <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, peter_e <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git out of sync vs. CVS
Date: 2010-01-19 16:03:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> [100119 10:44]:

> > When we (at Wisconsin State Courts) were using CVS and had scripts to
> > automatically merge changes from one branch to another, we saw this
> > sort of thing unless people were very careful to grab a timestamp in
> > the past for their ranges and use it throughout the script.  Perhaps
> > the script is just not careful enough?  (Said in total ignorance of
> > what the PostgreSQL process here actually is....)
>
> That would be one way. However, AFAIK the tool we use (fromcvs)
> doesn't support this. If somebody were to extend the tool with that,
> it would be much appreciated. It's a Ruby tool though, so there's not
> a thing I can do about it myself... And it's basically undocumented.
>
> But yes, if we do that and set the timestamp far enough back in time,
> that should make it "reasonably safe". Given how long some operations
> can take ((C) year change, release tagging IIRC, stuff like that),
> this has to be a fairly large number, which means the git mirror will
> lack even further behind. But if that's what we have to pay to make it
> safe, I guess we should... The time would have to be long enough to
> cover any cvs commit including potential network slowness during it
> etc.

Well, when I was running my conversion, I took a "cheap" way, I just
rsynced twice (with a delay, I don't remember how long I decided was long
enough) and made sure the 2nd rsync didn't do anything, before I let
fromcvs at the copy of CVSROOT.

Sure, it's not perfect either, I based that on the hope that no "single
CVS commit" would have a period of $X of inactivity on the CVSROOT.

Of course, that could all be useless (for my PG conversion) if the PG
CVSROOT that was an unstable point-in-time copy of the real CVSROOT, but
I was rsyncing CVSROOT of other projects too, so I needed it for my own
conversions...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,