BUG #5273: Unexpected function behavior/failure

From: "Vee" <sefer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5273: Unexpected function behavior/failure
Date: 2010-01-12 22:30:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5273
Logged by: Vee
Email address: sefer(at)hotmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.2
Operating system: Linux
Details:

Hi,

I have an odd problem using certain regular expressions (as opposed to any
other function) with PostgreSql 8.4.2, I was hoping you could enlighten me
as to what am I doing wrong.

-- Create the table and populate it.
create table test ( data text );
insert into test
values ('hello'), ('world'), ('bridge');

-- Test query.
select data, upper(data)
from test;

> hello HELLO
> world WORLD
> bridge BRIDGE

-- The problem query
select data, regexp_matches(data, '(h..l)')
from test;

> hello {hell}

Since I have no "where" clause, I would expect to see all the rows in the
result of the second case, with possibly a NULL value for the non-matched
rows.
But I would not expect a "select" clause to effectively filter out results
for me.

I'd appreciate your input on the matter.

Thanks,
Vee.