Re: Testing with concurrent sessions

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date: 2010-01-11 21:30:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 05:42:08PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Is there a reason why you're suggesting using DBI? There is also the Pg
> > perl module which works as well and is one tenth of the size. It also
> > doesn't have external dependancies. It's just a plain wrapper around
> > libpq, which for the purposes of testing may be better.
> >
> > http://search.cpan.org/~mergl/pgsql_perl5-1.9.0/Pg.pm
>
> Works as well? Did you take a look at that link? The last update was
> early 2000, which should give you an indication of just how dead
> it is.

Dead or not, it still works, even against 8.4. I have many programs
that use it. It's simply a wrapper around the libpq interface and as
long as the libpq interface remains stable (which we go to great pains
to do), so will this module.

Given the talk of importing some perl module into the postgresql tree
it just seemed more logical to me to take something that was close to
libpq and had no external dependancies than taking a module with an
external dependancy (namely DBI).

Have a nice day,