Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-01-09 05:17:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >
> > Tim Bunce's recent patch has been mangled apparently by the list
> > archives. He sent it as an attachment, and that's how I have it in
> > my mailbox, so why isn't it appearing as such in the web archive so
> > that it can be nicely downloaded? See <http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20100108124613.GL2505@timac.local>.
> > It's happened to other people as well:
> > <http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B02D3E4.1040107@hut.fi>
> >
> > Reviewers and others shouldn't have to c&p patches from web pages,
> > especially when it will be horribly line wrapped etc. Can we stop
> > this happening somehow?
>
> Try this
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/msgtxt(dot)php?id=20100108124613(dot)GL2505(at)timac(dot)local

This was previously broken for a lot of emails, but I just fixed some of
it, and it seems to work for the vast majority of our emails (and
certainly for all emails that matter).

The other point related to this is that each email should have a link
pointing to its text/plain version. This used to be present, but it got
broken (I think) at the same time that the anti-email-harvesting measure
got broken. I'm going to look at that next.

Let me know if you find something broken with this style of link.