Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?
Date: 2010-01-08 17:24:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex,

* Alex Hunsaker (badalex(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> As long as the VM/container you are running under wont kill postmaster
> for trying to access proc-- the patch I posted should work fine. It
> just ignores any error (I assumed you might be running in a chroot
> without proc or some such).

As I recall, oom_adj wasn't visible in the container because you
explicitly set what proc entries processes can have access to when using
VServers, and OpenSSH didn't handle that cleanly. Guess what I'm just
saying is "don't just assume everything is as it would be on a 'normal'
system when dealing with /proc and friends", and, of course, test, test,
test when you're talking about back-porting things.

Thanks,

Stephen