Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?
Date: 2010-01-08 17:03:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> Do we need to make the value configurable? I'd certainly find it
> interesting to set backends to say 5 or something like that, that
> makes them less likely to be killed than any old "oops opened too big
> file in an editor"-process, but still possible to kill if the system
> is *really* running out of memory.

We do need to make it configurable, in at least the sense of being able
to control if it's done or not. There are some environments where you
won't be able to set it. Perhaps just handling failure gracefully would
work, but I'd be happier if you could just disable it in the config
file.

Thanks,

Stephen