Re: damage control mode

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-08 02:18:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* David Fetter (david(at)fetter(dot)org) wrote:
> > OK, we have a proposal on the table to bump some patches from this
> > CommitFest to free up more committer resources, particularly Tom, to
> > work on Hot Standby and Streaming Replication and attempt to
> > accelerate the process of getting 8.5 out the door. This proposal
> > needs input from the community. The affected patches are:
>
> I don't see any need to thump the panic button today.
>
> If we *must* have SR and it's not in by the 15th, let's do another
> Commitfest rather than jack the people who played by the rules.

Playing by the rules isn't a guarantee, sorry. We have to prioritize
at some point or we'll never get it done. It seems like typically we do
that when we're past the point where we had originally planned to
release and only do it because of that pressure. I would have flipped
the priority of the two top items (I'd rather have writeable CTE than a
new listen/notify), but that doesn't change that I think they're under
SR.

I'm gonna have to +1 bumping the lower priority items in favor of having
an on-time release. To be honest, and I don't intend this as a slight
to anyone, but I'm already worried that just getting HS into a state
where everyone is comfortable releasing it to the wild and having users
trust their data to 8.5 is going to be a serious effort between now and
release.

Perhaps if we discover HS and SR go in alot more easily than expected we
could revisit the decision to bump things, but I don't like encouraging
false hope. Would things really happen that way? I tend to doubt it,
since I think after we get HS and SR done there's going to be an
appropriate push for beta.

Just my 2c from reading the list and history. I'm happy to be wrong.

Thanks,

Stephen