Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add .gitignore files to CVS?
Date: 2010-01-07 23:40:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 05:45:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On tor, 2010-01-07 at 22:16 +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> >> Is there any reason not to add .gitignore files into the repository?
>
> > I already find the .cvsignore files to be useless and an annoyance to
> > keep up to date (well, I basically ignore them and someone else cleans
> > up after me),
>
> When/if we move off CVS, we should drop the .cvsignore files and insert
> .gitignore (assuming that works the same way). I am not in favor of
> expecting the core project to maintain support for non-core SCMs though.
> Will we have .bzrignore and who knows what else in there too?
>
> As Peter points out, the only way the things will get maintained is if
> the complaints they suppress are in-the-face of somebody with commit
> access to the core repo. I like quiet from my "cvs update"s, so I'm
> willing to maintain .cvsignores, but I'm not willing to maintain
> multiple copies of that information.

How about a "make gitignore" target that copies each .cvsignore file to
a .gitignore file and appends .gitignore to it?

That way git users can just do "make gitignore" to get working .gitignore
files without cluttering the repository. As a bonus they'll then have an
incentive to update the .cvsignore files.

Tim.