Type modifiers for DOMAIN

From: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Type modifiers for DOMAIN
Date: 2010-01-06 06:12:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm trying to use DOMAIN as just synonym types for database migration.
For example,
=# CREATE DOMAIN varchar2 AS pg_catalog.varchar;
=# CREATE DOMAIN number AS pg_catalog.numeric;

Domains were created successfully, but I cannot use type modifiers for them.
=# CREATE TABLE tbl (v varchar2(10));
ERROR: type modifier is not allowed for type "varchar2"

What reason do we have not to inherit typmodin/typmodout from the base type?
I found a comment in DefineDomain(),
/* Domains never accept typmods, so no typmodin/typmodout needed */
but can we relax the restriction? This feature would be useful for migration
from other DBMSes that have non-standard data types.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center