Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-02-04 17:37:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> Would you want to make those the default options of the in-tree indent ?
> Or provide a shortcut like --postgresql ?

Hmmm ... inserting all of those as the default options would likely
make it impossible to update pg_bsd_indent itself with anything like
its current indent style (not that it's terribly consistent about
that). I could see inventing a --postgresql shortcut switch perhaps.

But it's not clear to me why you're allergic to the perl wrapper?
It's not like that's the only perl infrastructure in our build process.
Also, whether or not we could push some of what it does into pg_bsd_indent
proper, I can't see pushing all of it (for instance, the very PG-specific
list of typedef exclusions).