Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?
Date: 2009-12-22 21:17:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> [091222 15:47]:

> I was just having a chat with Magnus this morning, and he asked if the
> current patch already provides or if it would be possible to write a
> stand-alone utility to connect to a master and stream WAL files to an
> archive directory, without setting up a full-blown standby instance. We
> came to the conclusion that backup history files wouldn't be copied as
> the patch stands, because the standby has to specifically request them.

Please, please, please...

I've been watching the SR from the sidelines, basically because I want
my WAL fsync'ed on 2 physically separate machines before the client's
COMMIt returns...

And no, I'm not really interested in trying to do raid over NBD or DRBD,
and deal with the problems and pitfals that entails...

Being able to write a utility that connects as an "SR" client, but just
synchronously writes WAL into an archive directory setup is exactly what
I want... And once SR has settled, it's something I'm interested in
working on...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,