Re: Charset Win1250 on Windows and Ubuntu

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Charset Win1250 on Windows and Ubuntu
Date: 2009-12-21 09:41:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:26:51AM +0100, Durumdara wrote:
> So if I have Python and pygresql, can I set this value in Python?
> The main problem that I don't want to set this value globally - possible
> another applications want to use another encoding...

Each connection can set the encoding to whatever they like. Something I
find useful is to setup the DB as UTF-8 but then do:

ALTER DATABASE foo SET client_encoding = latin9;

which sets the default for the DB, or

ALTER USER bar SET client_encoding = latin9;

Which lets you set the defauts for each user. This means that old
scripts can work unchanged but newer scripts can choose UTF-8 if they
want it.

Have a nice day,