Re: Some questions on the backup window

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some questions on the backup window
Date: 2009-12-15 10:34:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le mardi 15 décembre 2009 à 10:21:33, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > And so did I. I now have a new tab with the list of objects one can save.
> > You'll find attached a screenshot showing this.
>
> Cool :-)
>
> > I still have a few questions:
> >
> > * Do you have any ideas for a better name on the tabs?
>
> Maybe just 'Objects'?

Done.

> Not sure about the others. I assume every thing
> is selected by default?

Yes.

> It would probably be good to add a 'Toggle
> selections' button, or 'Check all'/'Uncheck All' (or all three)

I can add a Checkbox on the Database node. A click on it would act as a "Check
all"/"Uncheck All" items. I don't see the use of a "Toggle selection" button.

> > * Instead of "Database x", "Schema y", or "Table z", I can probably add
> > the icon with the checkbox. Not sure if it's really interesting, but
> > it'll help me to get ride of a dirty hack to get back the object's name.
>
> Not sure how well it'll work to have checkboxes and icons, but it'll
> probably look nicer.

Well, the icon will be bigger, but I don't think it'll be an issue. I'll try
tonight.

> The other option would be to have something like:
>
> Database
> - Schemas
> - Foo
> - Bar
> - Tables
> - foo_table
> - bar_table

That's a really great idea. It'll also mimic the object's browser.

> > * A user can set schema's restriction on a database. Should a user see
> > (and so backup) only the allowed schemas or should the backup bypass this
> > specific configuration? (I mean, if he tries to backup the whole
> > database, this configuration is already bypassed)
>
> Good question. I don't think there's much we can do about dumping the
> whole database, except to warn the user if there's a restriction in
> place that will be ignored.
>
> I think we should honour the restriction in the treeview though.

OK.

> > This patch is in the git repository, but still needs some work, for
> > example to allow the use of some 8.4 specific options. Moreover the
> > schema and table backup are actually broken. But it will be quite easy to
> > fix. Expect a complete patch tonight.
>
> Cool. Couple of other thoughts from the earlier screenshots:
>
> - On Options #1, change the frame title to 'Type of objects'

Done.

> - On Options #1, change 'Create DB' 'Include CREATE DATABASE
> statement', 'Drop DB' to 'Include DROP DATABASE statement' and prefix
> the other two Query options with 'Use'. Oh, and the I on Inserts
> should be in lower case.

Done.

BTW, I think the drop db option is really a drop objects option. It is the
option that add drop statements for all objects before creating them. Or am I
wrong?

> - On Options #2, remove 'Disable' from 'Disable $ quoting' (it's
> already in the frame title)

Already done.

> - On Options #2, SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION should be in upper case.

Done.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume.