Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management
Date: 2009-12-07 01:34:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Having compared the JSON and YAML output formats, I think having YAML as
> a 2nd human-readable format might be valuable, even though it adds
> nothing to machine-processing.

Sure. YAML is human readable and can print more information that is
too verbose in one-line text format. +1 to add YAML format to EXPLAIN.

> Again, if there were a sensible way to do YAML as a contrib module, I'd
> go for that, but there isn't.

Some ideas to export formatters:
1. Provides register_explain_format(name, handler) function.
Contrib modules can register their handlers when LOADed.

2. Provides a method to specify a filter function. XML output is
passed to the function and probably converted with XSLT.

BTW, an extensible formatter is surely useful, but what will we do about
XML and JSON formats when we have it? Will we remove them from core?
If we have a plan to the direction, we should complete it before 8.5.0
release. We will be hard to revert them after the release.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center