Installing PL/pgSQL by default

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Mailing List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Installing PL/pgSQL by default
Date: 2009-12-04 00:02:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> But actually I thought we had more or less concluded that CREATE OR
> REPLACE LANGUAGE would be acceptable (perhaps only if it's given
> without any extra args?). Or for that matter there seems to be enough
> opinion on the side of just installing plpgsql by default. CINE is
> a markedly inferior alternative to either of those.

Based on research done as part of this thread, it seems plpgsql has
similar risks to recursive queries, so the idea of installing plpgsql by
default now makes more sense.

The attached patch installs plpgsql language by default, as well as the
three plpgsql helper functions. The language is installed just like it
was before, but now automatically, e.g. still a separate shared object.
One problem is that because system oids are used, it isn't possible to
drop the language:

$ droplang plpgsql test
droplang: language removal failed: ERROR: cannot drop language plpgsql
because it is required by the database system

I assume we still want to allow the language to be uninstalled, for
security purposes. Right? Any suggestions?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/pgpatches/plpgsql text/x-diff 4.9 KB