Re: Syntax for partitioning

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax for partitioning
Date: 2009-11-25 04:01:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com> wrote:

> I think that other databases allows the
> user to define a tablespace for each partition in the create table
> statement.

WITH and TABLESPACE clause are supported for each partition.

=# CREATE TABLE parent (...) PARTITION BY (key)
(
PARTITION child_1 VALUES LESS THAN 10 WITH (...) TABLESPACE tbs_1
);
=# CREATE PARTITION child_2 ON parent
VALUES LESS THAN 20 WITH (...) TABLESPACE tbl_2;

> Are you also planning to provide partitioning extensions to 'create
> table as'?

Ah, I forgot that. It would be possible to have the feature.
There are no syntax issues. But it would be done after we support
automatic INSERT routing. We can create the table will partitions,
but tuples are not divided into child partitions because we have
no insert-triggers at the time of CREATE TABLE AS.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center