Postgres blob question - insert from basic.

From: richard terry <rterry(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
To: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres blob question - insert from basic.
Date: 2009-11-23 11:11:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm confused about permissions to use lo_import/export:

Docs say this:

test=> CREATE TABLE fruit (name CHAR(30), image OID);
CREATE
test=> INSERT INTO fruit
test-> VALUES ('peach', lo_import('/usr/images/peach.jpg'));
INSERT 27111 1
test=> SELECT lo_export(fruit.image, '/tmp/outimage.jpg')
test-> FROM fruit
test-> WHERE name = 'peach';
lo_export
-----------
1
(1 row)

test=> SELECT lo_unlink(fruit.image) FROM fruit;
lo_unlink
-----------
1
(1 row)

However I want to do this in code (gambas basic), so i've a query where I've
selected a picture from a popup dialog. (Moddbconnect.Exec-Query is just a
function I have to do the database work and works for everything else, so that
is not the problem).

sql = "INSERT INTO demo_blob VALUES( 'my picture', lo_import('"
sql &= Dialog.Path & "'))"
modDBConnect.exec_query(sql)

This bombs, saying I don't have permission as super-user.

The doc's say use psql \lo_import, but I've no idea how to use this within a
query from basic.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard