Re: Differences in installing Postgres 8.3.8

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Differences in installing Postgres 8.3.8
Date: 2009-11-17 17:29:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Le mardi 17 novembre 2009 à 01:59:31, Kasia Tuszynska a écrit :
> [...]
> Question1:
> Is it expected behavior that different installers give a different outcome?

Yes.

> Question2 ( much more important than Q1):
> Is it possible to get an rpm build for linux that will behave like the msi
> installer on windows?

You'll have to build your own, and I'm not sure this is such a great idea. The
RPM packages are done in a way that they reuse other packages (libxml for
example), and the one click installer ships all it needs. They have two
strictly different behaviors because they don't intend to achieve the same
goals.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org