Re: Show schema size with \dn+

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Anders Steinlein <anders(at)steinlein(dot)no>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Show schema size with \dn+
Date: 2009-10-29 15:55:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:11 +0100, Anders Steinlein wrote:
> > Is there any interest in expanding \dn+ to show schema size, similar
> > to table sizes using \dt+ in 8.4? We use separate schemas for each
> > user, so this would allow us to quickly look up the sizes of each
> > user's data.
>
> A schema doesn't really have a size, because a schema is not a storage
> subdivision.

Erm, it's a namespace inside of which objects exist. Sure, the
individual tables might be on different tablespaces, but the schema's
size is a direct aggregation of the objects which it contains.

The argument that it doesn't have a size is a bit like arguing that 'du'
should report the directory's size rather than the combined size of
everything in it.

I look forward to someone adding this, it'd be nice to have.

Thanks,

Stephen