Re: Deprecation

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deprecation
Date: 2009-10-16 18:44:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 01:23:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> > We have some really silly legacy stuff in PostgreSQL, the silliest
> > of which, as far as I've found, is the add_missing_from GUC.
>
> Considering that we just had a discussion about a significant
> application that's still using it, I'm not sure what's your hurry.
> Is your intent specifically to break OpenACS in hopes of getting
> their attention? If so, you need to be a bit more up-front about
> that.
>
> (I would actually not mind getting rid of it, because that would
> greatly simplify a problem I'm wrestling with right now, namely how
> to put hooks into the parser for resolution of plpgsql variables.
> But we need to be honest about what it's going to do to users.)

Breaking legacy applications is a side effect, one we should probably
publish far and wide, of the code cleanup.

My "hidden agenda," such as it is, is to make sure people don't get
the misapprehension that they can just "fire and forget" with
PostgreSQL, or any other software. Interfaces change; ugly kludges
get removed, and they need to build their processes around this fact
rather than around wishful thinking.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!