Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output

From: Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Brad T(dot) Sliger" <brad(at)sliger(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date: 2009-09-30 18:21:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 01:30:17PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 11:03 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking about this some more, ISTM a much better way of approaching
>>> it would be to provide a flag for psql to turn off the fancy
>>> formatting, and have pg_regress use that flag.
>>>

>> Well, it might not be a bad idea, but adding a feature just to satisfy
>> the test suite instead of fixing the test suite doesn't feel satisfying.
>> Is there another use case?
>
> Sure, as Tom noted pg_regress probably won't be the only user. There are
> lots of legacy scripts out there that parse psql output, and it should
> be of use to them.

The attached patch implements this feature. It adds a
--no-pretty-formatting/-G option to psql (naming isn't my forté,
so feel free to change it!). This is also documented in the
SGML docs, and help text. Lastly, this option is used when invoking
psql by pg_regress, which results in a working testsuite in a UTF-8
locale.

Hopefully this is OK! I'll be happy to make any amendments required.

Regards,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-psql-disable-pretty-formatting.patch text/x-diff 5.0 KB