Data file recovery

From: Kevin Kempter <kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Data file recovery
Date: 2009-09-29 22:39:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all;

Here's my scenario:

1) we setup a db on a local server and we created an external tablespace on a
san. We loaded about 400GB in the san tablespace.

2) we had lots of HW issues, subsequently the server was re-purposed in an
emergency scenario

3) now we want the data back from the san however the original server, which
is where the postgres cluster lived (on the internal disk) that we used to
originally create this san tablespace is now gone.

So, based on the above; is it possible to recover the data on the san into a
tablespace via a new postgres cluster on a new server?

Thanks in advance