Re: bulk inserts

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bulk inserts
Date: 2009-09-28 22:03:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 04:35:53PM -0500, Dave Huber wrote:
> One assumption I am operating under right now is
> that the format of the binary file is the same as the buffer in
> PQputCopyData, including the header. If I am wrong, could someone
> please let me know? Thanks,

I've always used ASCII representations of the data; no need to worry
about formats then. Not sure what sort of performance considerations
you have, but it's certainly less of a worry for me. I'm reasonably
sure the binary format changes more often than you'd like, maybe
something like:

http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/

would help. I can't see anything about COPY support, but it should help
with other things.

--
Sam http://samason.me.uk/