Re: 8.5 TODO: Add comments to output indicating versionof pg_dump and of the database server

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com" <shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 TODO: Add comments to output indicating versionof pg_dump and of the database server
Date: 2009-09-26 22:48:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:02:55PM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > "shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com" <shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > From pg_dump/pg_restore section (9.2 of the Todo page on the
> > > PostgreSQL Wiki), is the following item "Add comments to output
> > > indicating version of pg_dump and of the database server" simply
> > > asking for a change to the pg_dump header from:
> >
> > I think so, but what's not clear is whether this is a good idea to
> > do in the default output.  It might only be appropriate in
> > "verbose" mode, so as not to introduce unnecessary diffs between
> > logically identical dumps.
>
> Well, a diff of the same database made by different (major) versions
> of pg_dump will already be different in most situations, so adding
> the pg_dump version number in it is essentially free from this
> perspective.
>
> What is the use case for adding the server version?

There have been cases where pg_restore doesn't fix infelicities.  For
example, there was a time when it was a good idea to run adddepend
after the reload.  Knowing what server version the dump came from
could be handy for this kind of case.

> I can imagine something like wanting to know exactly where the dump
> came from, but then host name and such would be better.  (And then
> you can infer the server version from that.)

You can infer the server version until the next upgrade, at which
point the information is lost.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!