Re: column level, uid based authorization to update columns

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: column level, uid based authorization to update columns
Date: 2009-09-04 00:10:44
Lists: pgsql-general

* Gauthier, Dave (dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com) wrote:
> In linux, given the linux based uid of the user, how might someone implement column level update restrictions on a uid basis? For example...

The first issue is getting the linux uid to equate to a PG role. That
can be done using 'ident' authentication, though I would recommend only
allowing that on socket-based connections (not with tcp/ip connections).
You could also give 'joeuser' a username and password to connect to PG
with.

In PG, with 8.4, you can use column-level privileges to limit what a
given PG role can do. See the GRANT syntax for 8.4.

Thanks,

Stephen