BUG #5033: Fallback using Warm Standby

From: "Raja Rayaprol" <raja(dot)rayaprol(at)swift(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5033: Fallback using Warm Standby
Date: 2009-09-03 20:53:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5033
Logged by: Raja Rayaprol
Email address: raja(dot)rayaprol(at)swift(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4
Operating system: HP-UX
Details:

I am applying archive logs at a warm standby and then brought up the
standby. However if I want to set up the old primary as a standby, I am
required to clone the standby to the primary.
It is not practical to do such cloning across a WAN for a large database,
and Oracle allows you to switch roles without requiring the standby to be
recreated.
I would like to know if there is demand for similar functionality from
Postgres users, and whether PostgreSQL Plus (or other variant) offer any
relief in this area ?

Thanks and regards