Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL Compatibility WAS: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-26 20:20:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 12:17:25 pm Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Yes. PostgreSQL should be able to run MySQL code quoted here:
> >
> > This is a prerequisite for people to be willing to test and adopt
> > PostgreSQL. People are not willing to debug frameworks like Drupal and
> > port them to PostgreSQL. We are quite alone and lost.
>
> First, off, the evidence is against that; people are doing the work to
> port things. And creating new projects which are based on Postgres.

Yeah the above is pretty much a non starter anymore. We out rank MySQL on
several polls in terms of popularity. Our channel is growing whereas the MySQL
one is shrinking. Our community isn't splintered and even projects like Drupal
are making it a specific point to fix the original mysql centric design.

> Now, there are things which MySQL does better which we should fix,
> because they are real problems for our users who already like
> PostgreSQL. These include simple replication, upgrade in place, driver
> maintenance, covering indexes, MERGE, etc. But we'll do these because
> they make *Postgres* better, not because MySQL has them.

Agreed.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor