Re: sudden program termination: no warning, error, or crash

From: "JwexlerAt MailDotCom" <jwexler(at)mail(dot)usa(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sudden program termination: no warning, error, or crash
Date: 2009-08-19 01:13:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

I can of course reproduce as well.

The occurrence might be associated with Shift-Tab to toggle to excel immediately after a column edit operation (i.e., while still processing the transaction). I've described in detail below the steps that most often reproduce the termination:

1. While an existing column is selected, click on the "Create a new object of the same type as the selected object." Button.
2. Toggle to an Excel 2007 approx. 450kb spreadsheet and copy "creationTimestamp" text from within a cell (i.e., only text itself is copied not the cell) 3. Toggle back to pgAdmin III and paste in "Name"
4. Set Data Type as "timestamp with time zone"
5. Click "OK" button to close window
6. Immediately after click "OK" button (i.e., very promptly and perhaps while pgAdmin III is still processing), do a Shift-Tab to toggle back to Excel 2007.
7. In Excel, copy the text "Date and time record was created". Toggle back to pgAdmin III via Shift-Tab.
8. Select "creationTimestamp" in object browser and click on "Display/edit the properties of the selected object."
9. Paste the copied text into the Comment field.
10. Click "OK" button to close window
11. Immediately after click "OK" button (i.e., very promptly and perhaps while pgAdmin III is still processing), do a Shift-Tab to toggle back to Excel 2007. Sometimes crashes at this point with a pause at the pgAdmin III screen and then the toggle to Excel after pgAdmin III has terminated. If it has not terminated then continuation with below steps.
12. Repeat steps #1-2 but this time for "updateTimestamp" text 13. Repeat steps #3-6. Often terminates at this point when doing the same thing as #6. However, less occurrence of the termination if I adequately pause before doing the Shift-Tab back to Excel.

Jeff