Re: WIP: getting rid of the pg_database flat file

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: getting rid of the pg_database flat file
Date: 2009-08-12 01:42:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> To actually get rid of the pg_database flat file, we'd need to take the
> further step of teaching the AV launcher to read pg_database for itself,
> or else refactor things so that the AV workers can do that for it.
> (Alvaro, any comments about the best way to proceed there?)

Hmm. I don't see any easy way out of that at the moment ... the
launcher would have to become a pseudo-backend, at least to the point
where it is able to read pg_database. I don't see how could workers
help the launcher with that, unless we made them write a flatfile
representation of pg_database, which would put us back where we started ...

I'll have a deeper look around.