replay WAL segments without a "base backup" ?

From: Kevin Kempter <kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: replay WAL segments without a "base backup" ?
Date: 2009-08-11 15:05:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all;

due to operator error at one of my client sites we're trying to restore a
deleted db.

We did a restore with a pgdump that went fine but the dump is 3weeks old. they
do have WAL segments and they claim that the WAL segments are exactly in line
with the needed transactions - from a timing perspective. However no base
backup with pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() was ever run.

Is there any way to trick postgres into thinking that it needs to play fwd
these WAL's? Would it work to simply place them in a dir, create a
recovery.conf file pointing to that dir and restart the cluster?

Thanks in advance...