Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff <threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: [Pg-migrator-general] Composite types break pg_migrated tables
Date: 2009-08-07 00:56:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Thursday 06 August 2009 06:32:06 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have applied the attached patch to pg_migrator to detect enum,
> > composites, and arrays. I tested it and the only error I got was with
> > the breakmigrator table that was supplied by Jeff, and once I removed
> > that table the migration went fine, meaning there are no cases of these
> > stored in the regression test database.
>
> That might be a bit excessive. As I understand it, arrays of built-in types
> (e.g., int[]) should work fine. I suspect the majority of uses of arrays will
> be with built-in types, so allowing that would help a significant portion of
> installations.

Agreed. I realized that last night, and have modified pg_migrator to
test FirstNormalObjectId.

The pg_migrator limitations are now:

pg_migrator will not work if a user column is defined as:

o data type tsquery
o data type 'name' and is not the first column
o a user-defined composite data type
o a user-defined array data type
o a user-defined enum data type

You must drop any such columns and migrate them manually.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com