Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-07-31 13:24:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:47:39 +0100
Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> We're migrating the contents of an old MSSQL server to PostgreSQL
> 8.3.7, so a full conversion is required. Does anyone know of any
> guides which highlight common gotchas and other userful
> information?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server_to_PostgreSQL_Migration_by_Ian_Harding

http://edoceo.com/creo/ms2pg

These were the places I read when I had to migrate some MS SQL DB to
Postgresql.

I admit I mostly did it by exporting csv from MS SQL[1],
refactoring the schema and rewriting from scratch functions... but
those were the places where I read the info I needed.

[1] suddenly MS SQL became unable to export proper csv so I remember
I wrote an rudimentary odbc2csv tool as well. Since it was inspired
by an even more rudimentary work of a colleague I'll ask if he can
release it under GPL if you'll find yourself in the need of such a
beast.

You may also find useful FreeTDS
http://www.freetds.org/
http://www.webthatworks.it/d1/page/odbc,_freetds_and_microsoft_sql_(and_php)