Re: [RFC] obtaining the function call stack

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] obtaining the function call stack
Date: 2009-07-14 03:24:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule escribió:
> 2009/7/13 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:
> > Pavel Stehule escribió:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I did some similar (but Oracle like) in orafce - so it can help. I
> >> thing, so this should be very useful, but result set isn't best
> >> format. Usually you would to print to log and you have to iterate via
> >> set. So maybe better format could be some structured text.
> >
> > Thanks.  What's the file/function?
>
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/orafce/orafce/utility.c?rev=1.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Thanks.

I played with this for a couple of hours, and the inevitable conclusion
is that this approach is doomed, if only because it depends on the user
not setting a non-english locale. Otherwise errcontext() would store
translated messages in the error stack, and the code trying to parse
them would fail miserably.

I haven't looked at pldebugger, but if it does anything similar to this,
it's obviously prey to the same problem ... which I guess means that we
really need some more robust way of doing it, there already being three
potential users of it.