Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm
Date: 2009-07-13 22:18:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Monday 13 July 2009 19:17:49 David Kerr wrote:
> We're using SLES 11, and uuid-ossp isn't delivered in the
> postgresql-contrib package, we opened a case with Novell and this was their
> reply:
> [some nonsense]

I'm sorry to say that SUSE just isn't a good source if you want to do serious
PostgreSQL deployment. They ship PostgreSQL because it's there, but they, as
an organization, just don't care enough to consistently provide the packages,
updates, and support that you'd want for serious use. So if you can't use a
different operating system, either accept what you get and hope you get away
with it, or prepare to spend some resources to do your own maintenance.