BUG #4915: installation failure: Failure to set permissions on the installed files

From: "Ahren Reed" <aareed(at)nps(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4915: installation failure: Failure to set permissions on the installed files
Date: 2009-07-10 00:43:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4915
Logged by: Ahren Reed
Email address: aareed(at)nps(dot)edu
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
Operating system: Windows XP
installed files
Details:

I am using the Crossbow install package called "MoteViewSetup_1.2.B.exe"
that came on my Crossbow System Support CD. MoteView installs PostgreSQL
8.0. The problem is that the installation fails with the following
message:

PostgreSQL 8.0.0-rcl
! Failed to set permissions on the installed files. Please see the logfile
'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rcl\tmp\pgperm.log'

The log file (pgperm.log) has the following message:
"No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."

The account I am using has Administrator permissions. Is this an issue with
Symantec AntiVirus? I have that running on the system. It's the "corporate
version" 10.1.8.8000

I have tried installing the PostgreSQL software with the Symantec services
stopped, and it still doesn't install.

I have checked the Security tab on the Program Files folder where the
PostgreSQL folder resides, and I have Full Control on all the permissions.

Not sure why I keep getting this "Failed to set permissions on the installed
files" error. What's going on?