Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-09 15:21:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dave Page wrote:

> Well, to put this into perspective, not including ongoing development
> time, in the lead up to 8.4, we had 3 people working full time for a
> month or so on QA and subsequent development work. They tested the
> installers in depth on somewhere between 20 and 30 different OSs. We
> also have to test in multiple scenarios - for example, on Windows,
> installing on a domain controller may have certain issues, as may
> installing on a domain member. On some Linux distros, we may need to
> ensure things work as they should under Gnome, KDE and XFCE.
>
> Do not underestimate how much work building these installers actually is.

But ISTM you're counting the effort to build on Linux and Mac OS X too.
We already have perfectly good packages for those in at least several
Linux distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, Suse, Gentoo, at least);
and for Mac OS X there are Fink packages too. I am sure that there is a
point for EDB to release the one-click installers for those operating
systems, but what we ("the community") are concerned with here is the
Windows installers, no?

Now, you can legitimely say that 1) you're supporting Linux distros that
we currently don't have other packages for, and 2) you support way more
packages through the StackBuilder thingy. But surely these are problems
that could be attacked in a different way?

For instance I notice we're not linking to Martin Pitt's package page
which has 8.4 packages for Debian. Is that only because Martin is not a
regular around here?