Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-09 12:54:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I requested we find evidence as a formal poll for the reasons you
> > suggest, and others. I would still be happier if this was a formal poll
> > rather than as an email from me, but if you would like me to raise this
> > on other lists, please confirm that.
>
> Not really. Again, without an alternate installer team, there's no
> point. It doesn't matter how much anyone wants the moon in a box.

Agreed. This is not just a download issue, but a larger question of
whether we use company resources to help the community if the help has
some PR payback for the company.

Some day we might have a large enough community that we can create
quality multi-platform installers without needing company assistance
with PR payback, but at that point there will be other things companies
will want to help us with, like flashy conferences, advertising, or
something else.

Heck, even my time teaching at Drexel was partly justified by the PR
value to the company and community.

We can say no to all that, and avoid the PR tie-in, but that will most
certainly slow us down.

To me it is a cost/benefit analysis: Is the PR tie-in worth the benefit
to the community? Sometimes it isn't --- if someone wanted their
company name to appear every time someone used the SQL feature they
added, that isn't worth it. If someone wanted to contribute a huge
SQL feature and wanted a PR quote from me --- no problem.

The bottom line is that companies need some PR payback to compensate for
expenditures over a certain amount, and we as a community have to decide
if it is valuable enough to us to accept the PR tie-in.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com