Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-09 14:49:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thursday 09 July 2009 6:34:18 am Simon Riggs wrote:

> Are we really in a position where we are forced to accept advertising
> from a company because they run what we consider to be a critical part
> of the project? Is that the only alternative?
>
> So you are confirming that EDB has said that it will pull the installers
> if we remove the link?
>
> I think there is likely to be a reasonable alternative, if we seek it.
> If you do not wish to seek it personally, then we should arrange for
> somebody else to enquire after the options and find a solution.
>
> --
> Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
> PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support

I am failing to see the issue here. There is a need for an installer, it was not
being met, so EDB stepped up and fulfilled the need. Obviously that has not
been greeted with universal approval, but Postgres is an Open Source project so
the means exist to create an alternative. Instead of expending time and effort
on arguing purity of thought, would it not be better to redirect that energy
into an actual project. Set up a project on pgfoundry and create the reasonable
alternative. If advertising is the concern I would find the argument more
compelling without company names in the signature.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net