Re: Are views created 'on the fly'

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are views created 'on the fly'
Date: 2009-07-05 06:00:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

richard terry <rterry(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:

> I had an occasion to generate a unique key on a complex view and noticed that
> every time I opened the view in pgAdmin, that the start key changes, does
> that mean that every time one references a view it is created 'on the fly',
> before you query it for data?

A VIEW is nothing else than a stored query. Every time you query the
VIEW, your query is replaced by the definition of the view.

You need a unique key on that view? Well, you can use PG 8.4 and its
build-in row_number(() - function.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°