Re: Free OLAP software for Postgres databas

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: Michal Szymanski <dyrex(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free OLAP software for Postgres databas
Date: 2009-06-29 14:22:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:02:30AM +0300, Sim Zacks wrote:

> > The first is easy; simply configure data sources pointed at the PostgreSQL
> > database. Note that the JDBC drivers that ship with Pentaho are, in my
> > experience, of inconsistent version, and you might want to update them to the
> > latest available for your PostgreSQL and Java versions.
> >
> In my experience you don't want to upgrade the jars that come with
> Pentaho. If it is not the versions that they come with the chances are
> that things will not work. The JDBC driver might be upgradeable, I
> believe we downloaded that by ourselves.

We've not had problems upgrading the JDBC drivers (or indeed installing them,
as IIRC, some components just haven't had a PostgreSQL driver in the default
installation). Your Mileage May Vary. We haven't touched any other libraries
that ship with Pentaho, which I tend to think is a wise decision on our part
:)

> Also we had a much better experience with Jasper (free version) then
> Pentaho (free version).

When we tried to decide between the two, we took both out for brief test
drives. They seemed almost functionally equivalent, and there were no major
advantages or deficiencies we found to indicate one over the other. But that's
a decision made with regard only to those features we cared about.

- Josh / eggyknap