Re: Query progress indication - an implementation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scara Maccai <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
Subject: Re: Query progress indication - an implementation
Date: 2009-06-29 06:53:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday 28 June 2009 20:38:59 Robert Haas wrote:
> The only other use case I can think of for functionality of this type
> is some kind of dashboard view on a system with very long-running
> queries, where you want to see how far you have yet to go on each one
> (maybe to approximate when you can submit the next one) without having
> detailed knowledge of how expensive each individual query was project
> to be. But that's a pretty narrow use case, and I'm not sure it
> really justifies the overhead of instrumenting every query in this
> way.

Well, progress information is probably only going to be useful for long-
running processes anyway, and then only when the admin is too bored and
wonders what he can usefully cancel. So it seems import to figure out exactly
when to turn this on and when not to without causing too much overhead
elsewhere.