Re: Free OLAP software for Postgres databas

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michal Szymanski <dyrex(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free OLAP software for Postgres databas
Date: 2009-06-28 04:06:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 02:04:13PM -0700, Michal Szymanski wrote:

> > I've used Pentaho with pgsql and it worked pretty well.  I'm pretty
> > sure jasper as well can work with pgsql.
>
> Where can I find information how to install Pentaho on Postgres? Do
> you use free edition?

We also both the free and enterprise versions, and both work with PostgreSQL.
Note that there are two different things you might be talking about, here:

1) PostgreSQL contains your data warehouse, or pieces thereof.
2) PostgreSQL contains the Pentaho repository

The first is easy; simply configure data sources pointed at the PostgreSQL
database. Note that the JDBC drivers that ship with Pentaho are, in my
experience, of inconsistent version, and you might want to update them to the
latest available for your PostgreSQL and Java versions.

The second is more difficult, but also very possible. There are PostgreSQL
scripts in Pentaho's biserver/data/postgresql directory. These create the
necessary databases. Though they're poorly written, IMO, they'll give you a
good idea what you really need to create. The hardest bit is editing all the
configuration files for the various bits of the Java stack (spring, hibernate,
acegi, pentaho...). It's best to find instructions for using MySQL as the
repository, and substitute "PostgreSQL" for "MySQL". One possible such
reference is
http://www.prashantraju.com/pentaho/guides/biserver-2.0-final/biserver2.0-local-final.pdf

- Josh / eggyknap