Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Miles Elam <mileselam(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG: Pgadmin3 on a netbook
Date: 2009-06-22 16:41:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le lundi 22 juin 2009 à 18:20:44, Miles Elam a écrit :
> On a 1024x600 screen, common in netbooks, some dialog boxes extend below
> the bottom of the screen and cannot be re-sized/scrolled. Even on
> 1240x768, database editing is strained.
>
> For example, the table creation dialog box does not allow adding column
> fields, constraints, some permissions, or finalizing the creation, because
> the controls for the previous list are below the bottom of the screen where
> the mouse cannot reach them.
>
> The same is true of the sequence creation dialog box, though most entry
> fields are accessible on that one. The table creation dialog box however
> is effectively unusable.
>
> While obviously not preferred tools for database maintenance, netbooks are
> increasingly common for travelers and many budget-oriented users like
> myself.

Our dialogs are not designed to work with so small screens. 800 is
particularly the maximum height (because that's what I have on my day to day
laptop and I did the design for 1.10). Which unfortunately does not mean that
I would make them smaller if I had a netbook.

I think our standards are:

* Standard dialog heights are 150, 250, and 280
* Standard dialog widths are 220, and 300

(according to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgAdmin_Internals#Property_page_dialogue_layout
but it should be pretty uptodate AFAICT).

This is in wxWidgets units, and I don't know how to convert them in pixels.

Anyway, seems you have a point here. We probably should make them smaller. The
only way we can do this is to put the comment box on its own tab. Not
something Dave would like to have IIRC. Or we can put only "standards (common)
infos" on the first tab, and specifics ones on another one.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org