Re: rc1 tarball contains partially outdated/missing man pages

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: rc1 tarball contains partially outdated/missing man pages
Date: 2009-06-19 15:40:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 18 June 2009 23:15:53 Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > One thing I notice is that the "table" and "with" entries are not coming
> > out as intended. The file names are all caps:
> >
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 tgl users 18 Jun 12 01:37 WITH.7
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 tgl users 18 Jun 12 01:37 TABLE.7
> >
> > and the content surely isn't what was meant:
> >
> > $ more TABLE.7
> > .so man7/SELECT.7
> > $ more WITH.7
> > .so man7/SELECT.7

The content is pretty much what was meant, except that the case is wrong.
Typing "man SELECT" will find a lower case select.7 man page, but the .so
mechanism apparently doesn't. The simple fix is to convert all man page names
to upper case, which is the default in the tools anyway.

> BTW, as far as that particular point goes: maybe we could fix the tools
> issues underlying this, but I'm tempted to think that it's not worth the
> trouble, because making these man pages be aliases for SELECT is just
> the Wrong Thing anyway. I think we should just split them off and have
> them be documented as separate top-level reference pages.

Umm, the reason why it is that way now is that you did not want them to be
separate top-level man pages:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/19886.1226171409@sss.pgh.pa.us